How to survive the winter with chronic illness


If you’re anything like me then you are dreading the winter months! I am always at my worst in the winter because of the cold weather but there are things I do and use that do help and Im going to share them with you. If you have any other tips or recommendations please share them below. 

Electric throw blanket

I would be lost without my electric throw. I bought mine years ago from Lakeland and I use it daily in the colder months. If you didn't know, electric throws are usually very cheap to run (around 3p an hour) so theres no need to worry about electricity costs. Its great if you cant afford to put the heating on because it will keep you warm all day and night. I did some research and you can get a heated electric blanket from Silent Night for £40 from Asda. I prefer a heated throw to a heated blanket because Im a hot sleeper so I can use my throw on the sofa in the day but if you are cold at night you can buy heated blankets/under blankets for around the same price. 

Microwaveable heat pack

A microwaveable heat pack was one of my first purchases when I started getting ill with M.E/CFS and Fibromyalgia over 10 years ago. I have 4 that I rotate between and they are great for pain but also to warm yourself up. You can buy them everywhere now and you can even buy microwavable slippers, socks and teddies.

Eat and drink warm foods/drinks

If you do struggle to stay warm try to eat as much warm foods like soups, risottos and casseroles and drink plenty of warm beverages. If you aren't a tea or coffee drinker try warm squash/Ribena, Cup A Soup or even bone broth. 

Vitamin D supplement 

Always talk to your doctor before you start any supplements but theres lots of information about Vitamin D on the NHS website. I personally use a Vitamin D supplement oral spray that I use every morning. It’s great because it’s one less pill to take.

Remote control heater

This is a newer purchase of mine. I bought myself a remote control heater from Amazon so I can turn it on when Im in bed so it can warm my room up before I get up in the morning. Its great! 

Electric heating pad

My heating pad died a few months ago and I was devastated. I had used it for years so I definitely got my moneys worth. But the day it died I went onto Amazon and bought a new one because I cannot live without one. It’s great for any sort of pain and you can get different sizes and shapes for different body areas. I have a rectangle one because most of my pain is on my back. Again, these are pretty affordable to run so you don't have to worry about it making your bills go through the roof! 

Oodie 

I wear one of my oodies every single day. I have 2 that have a full zip so I don't have to take it off over my head which can be difficult on bad flare up days and I have a leopard print one from Dunelm thats super fluffy and comfy for extra cold days. You can buy oodies everywhere now and for a good price. I recommend looking in Dunelm, they even have ones for children. 



Comments

Popular Posts